Doubts about your choice of study? Do not make any impulsive decisions, but talk to your parents first or opt for an informal and confidential conversation with a student counselor.
Please consult a team member of the Student Administrative Services Centre of your campus about the social and financial consequences of your ‘deregistration’, as this will have an impact on your tuition fee, health insurance, child benefit, student job, …
You will also find more information about discontinuing your studies during the academic year on the website http://www.centenvoorstudenten.be (only available in Dutch).
If you want to officially discontinue your studies, you will have to deregister at the Student Administrative Services Centre of your campus. You will have to fill in a form, based on which your deregistration will be officially registered.
Attention: de date of deregistration is the date when the completely filled out deregistration form has been received by the Student Administrative Services Centre. An e-mail or a call is not sufficient to officially register you deregistration.
If you deregister for a degree programme, you will not be able to reregister for the same degree programme or course units within this degree programme during the same academic year, regardless of the type of contract.
Consequences for your learning account
If you deregister:
- before December 1, all your credits that you have registered for will be added back to your learning account.
- between December 1 and March 15, only the credits of the course units that start in the second semester will be added back to your learning account.
- after March 15, you will lose the credits you were registered for (not acquired).
Reimbursement of the tuition fees
If you deregister
- within 4 weeks after your registration (or the start of the semester) you only pay the fixed fee.
- between 4 and 8 weeks after your registration, you pay the fixed fee and a variable fee based on half of the credits you have already taken part in.
- after 8 weeks, you pay the fixed fee and the complete variable fee, based on the already followed credits.
This arrangement is only applicable on the tuition fees that are collected by the Student Administrative Services Centre and not on any additional fees that are collected by the programme or elsewhere.